Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Simple Named Pipes Solution for Autodesk Map3d

Author: Jonio, Dennis


I have recently decided to put together a minimalist IPC namedpipes application. I just could not think of something simplier than what I have here. This is like using a 747 jetliner to commute cross town to work but it does illustrate the ease. It is a complete, zipped up, Visual Studio 2005 solution with the entire source that I have outlined in other posts. To reiterate I use Map3d 2008 and have not tested this against vanilla AutoCAD. You will have to tell me if it works or not. I have no dependences on Map3d that I can think of.

The NETLOADable dll is, you guessed it, IPCSimple.dll. Load it up and commandline: doit. The “DataBridge” form is minimized at startup.

Startup “ClientBasicIO.exe” it is pretty obvious what to do from this point.

Most of what is happening I consider pretty much to be “boilerplate”, again thanks to Ivan Latunov. My particular implementation of serializing/de-serializing the datasets can easily be changed to support whatever construction you like. Sending a text string for “SendStringToExecute” is really kind’a sort’a silly but, like I said, I could not think of anything simpler.

At this point it is up to your imaginations as to how this can work for you. …enjoy!


You can download the solution here: http://tf-net.googlecode.com/files/IPCSimple.zip

No comments:

Post a Comment